Articles in refereed journals
- McDonough, M. H., Sabiston, C. M., Sedgwick, W. A., Crocker, P. R. E. (2010). Changes in motivation and self-perceptions during a physical activity intervention for overweight women. Women in Sport and Physical Activity Journal, 19, 33-46.
- Sabiston, C. M., Rusticus, S., Brunet, J., McDonough, M., Hadd, V., Hubley, A., & Crocker, P. (2010). Does an experience with breast cancer alter the measurement of body image? Testing the invariance of the MBSRQ with healthy women and breast cancer survivors. Quality of Life Research, 19, 1171-1180.
- Sabiston, C. M. & Munroe-Chandler, K. J. (2010). Effects of fitness advertising on weight and body shape satisfaction, social physique anxiety, and exercise motives. Journal of Applied Biobehavioral Research, 14, 165-180.
- Love, C. & Sabiston, C. M. (2010). Examining physical activity as a moderator of the relationship between social support and psychological growth among young adult cancer survivors. Psycho-Oncology. DOI: 10.1002/pon.1733.
- Brunet, J., Sabiston, C. M., Dorsch, K., McCreary, D. (2010). Exploring a Model of Determinants of Social Physique Anxiety in Male and Female Adolescents: The role of drive for muscularity, maladaptive eating, and self-esteem. Body Image: An International Journal, 7, 137-142.
- Burke, S., Sabiston, C. M. (2010). Exploring Breast Cancer Survivors’ Experiences of Subjective Well-Being during an Attempt to Scale Mt. Kilimanjaro: An Interpretive Phenomenological Study. Qualitative Research in Sport and Exercise, 2, 1-16.
- Garcia, E., Sabiston, C. M., Ahmed, R., Faroush, M. (2010). Exploring links to unorganized and organized physical activity during adolescence: the role of gender, socioeconomic status, weight status, and enjoyment of physical education. Research Quarterly in Exercise and Sport, 81, 7-16.
- McComb, J. L. & Sabiston, C. M. (2010). Family influences on adolescent gambling. Journal of Gambling Studies. DOI: 10.1007/s10899-010-9181-5
- Brunet, J. & Sabiston, C. M. (2010). In the company we keep: Do experiences of social physique anxiety differ around parents and peers? Journal of Health Psychology. Published ahead of print: August 13, 2010, doi: 10.1177/1359105310367530
- Hadd, V., Sabiston, C. M., McDonough, M., & Crocker, P. R. E. (2010). Sources of Stress for Breast Cancer Survivors Involved in Dragon Boat: Examining Associations with Treatment Characteristics and Psychological Well-Being. Journal of Women’s Health, available ahead of print June 8, 2010.
- Barnett, T. A., O’Loughlin, J., Sabiston, C. M., Karp, I., Belanger, M., Van Hulst, A., & Lambert, M. (2010). Teens and Screens: The influence of screen-time on adiposity in adolescents. American Journal of Epidemiology, 172, 255-262.
- Sabiston, C. M., Brunet, J., Kowalski, K. C., Wilson, P., Mack, D. E. & Crocker, P. R. E. (2010). The role of body-related self-conscious emotions in motivating women’s physical activity. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology,32, 417-437.
- Sabiston, C. M., Castonguay, A., Low, N., Mathieu, M., Lambert, M., O’Loughlin, J. (2010). Vigorous physical activity and C-reactive protein among adolescents. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity. Available online March 17, 2010.
- Chaiton, M., Sabiston, C. M., O’Loughlin, J., McGrath, J., Maximova, K., Lambert, M. (2009). A structural equation model relating adiposity, psychosocial indicators of body image, and depressive symptoms among adolescents. International Journal of Obesity, 33, 588-596.
- Sabiston, C. M., Castonguay, A., Barnett, T., O’Loughlin, J., Lambert, M. (2009). Body image and C-reactive protein in adolescents. International Journal of Obesity, 33, 597-600.
- Brunet, J. & Sabiston, C. M. (2009). Examining the relationship between social physique anxiety and physic al activity: a self-determination perspective. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 10, 329-335.
- Sabiston, C. M., Lovato, C. Y., Ahmed, R., Hadd, V., Brown, K. S. (2009). Individual perceptions, school smoking policies, and visibility of smoking at school: Are they linked to student smoking status? Journal of Youth and Adolescence, 38, 1374-1387.
- Sabiston, C. M., McDonough, M. H., Sedgwick, W. A., Crocker, P. R. E. (2009). Muscle gains and emotional strains: Conflicting experiences of change among overweight women participating in an exercise intervention program. Qualitative Health Research, 19, 466-480.
- Lonsdale, C., Sabiston, C. M., Raedeke, T. D., Ha, A. S. C., Sum, R. K. W. (2009). Self-Determined motivation and students' physical activity during
structured physical education lessons and free choice periods. Preventive Medicine, 69-73.
- DiFrenza, J., Wellman, R. J., Ursprung, S. A., Sabiston, C. M. (2009). The autonomy over smoking scale. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 23, 656-665.
- Brunet, J., McDonough, M. H., Hadd, V., Crocker, P. R. E., Sabiston, C. M. (2009). The Posttraumatic Growth Inventory: An Examination of the Factor Structure and Invariance among Breast Cancer Survivors. Psycho-Oncology, 19, 830-838.
- Sabiston, C.M., McDonough, M. H., & Crocker, P. R. E. (2008). An Interpretive Phenomenological Examination of Psychosocial Changes among Breast Cancer Survivors in their First Season of Dragon Boating. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 20, 425-440.
- Sabiston, C. M. & Crocker, P. R. E. (2008). Examining an integrative model of physical activity and healthy eating behaviors among adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, 42, 64-72
- Sabiston, C. M. & Crocker, P. R. E. (2008). Exploring a model of self-perceptions and social influences in the prediction of adolescent leisure-time physical activity. Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 30, 3-22.
- Sabiston CM, McDonough MH, Crocker PRE. (2007). Psycho-social experiences of breast cancer survivors involved in a dragon boat program: Exploring links to positive psychological growth. Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology, 29, 419-438.
- Sabiston CM, Sedgwick WA, Crocker PRE, Kowalski KC, & Stevens D. (2007). Social physique anxiety in adolescents: an examination of influences, coping strategies and health behaviours. Journal of Adolescent Research, 22, 78-101.
- Lovato CY, Hsu H, Sabiston CM, Hadd V, Nykiforuk CIJ. (2007). Tobacco point-of-purchase marketing in school neighbourhoods and school smoking prevalence: A descriptive study. Canadian Journal of Pubic Health, 98, 265-270
- Sabiston CM, Wilson, B. (2006). Britney, the body, and the blurring of popular cultures. A case study of music videos, gender, a transcendent celebrity, and health issues (pp 199-210). In L. Fuller (Ed.) Sexual Sports Rhetoric: Teaming up gender with the language of sport. New York, NY: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Crocker PRE, Sabiston CM, Kowalski KC, McDonough MH, Kowalski N (2006). Longitudinal assessment of the relationship between physical self-concept and health related behaviour and emotion in adolescent girls. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 18, 185-200.
- Lovato CY, Sabiston CM, Hadd V, Nykiforuk CIJ, Campbell HS. (2006). The impact of school smoking policies and student perceptions of enforcement on school smoking prevalence and location of smoking. Health Education Research. Advance Access, published September 20, 2006.
The impact of school smoking policies and student perceptions of enforcement on school smoking prevalence and location of smoking