- "The Basic Characteristics of Marc Bloch's Caractres originaux: An essay on French rural history", Review essay (8000 words) for Humanities Network Journal H-rural, May 1996.
- "The French agricultural capital stock, 1789-1914", Research in Economic History, vol. 16 (1996), pp. 37-83.
- "Food rations in France in the eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries: a reply", Economic History Review, 48:4 (1995), pp. 774-777.
Articles/chapters in books and monographs
- "Agricultural productivity before the Green Revolution", The State of Humanity, Julian Simon, ed. Oxford: Basil Blackwell (1995), pp. 362-372.
- Review: Bruce Campbell, James Gallowy, Derek Keene and Margaret Murphy, A medieval capital and its grain supply, in Economic History Review 48 (August 1995), pp. 613-14.
- Review: Jan Blomme, "The economic development of Belgian agriculture 180-1980. A quantitative and qualitative analysis." The American Historical Review, April 1995, pp. 538-39.
- Review: Martine Goossens, "The economic development of Belgian agriculture 1812-1846. A regional perspective." In The American Historical Review. April 1995, pp. 537-38.
- "The Early Medieval Transition. On the Origins of the Manor and Feudal Government. Some Problems of Interpretation."
The Early Medieval Transition [DOC - 218.5 KB]