Research interests and projects
Polymer processing and characterization
- Polymeric nanocomposites
- Computer simulation of film blowing
- Kinetics of crystallization of polymer melts under pressure, shear, and non-isothermal conditions
- Morphology development in polymeric films and sheets during solidification
- Computer simulation of injection molding
- The measurement and calculation of thermal stresses in injection molding
- Optical properties of polyolefin films
- Structure control of polymer blends during processing
- Interfacial tension in polymer blends
- Structure - property - process relationships
Specialized laboratory facilities
- Instrumental injection, blow and compression molding machines
- Single and twin screw extruders
- Tensile and impact testing systems
- DSC, DMA, TMA and TGA analysis system
- Near-field optical scanning microscope with AFM capabilities
- Access to extensive microscopic capabilities (SEM, TEM, PLM, etc.)
- FTIR, sonic modules, thermal conductivity and gas/liquid permeability measurement
- Computerized pendant drop and spinning drop interfacial tension devices
- IBM RISC 6000 and SGI workstations in computer laboratory
- Access to extensive rheological characterization laboratory
- GNOMIX pressure - volume - temperature apparatus
- Linkham shear cell with hot stage and polarized light microscopy
- Super-critical carbon dioxide fractionation apparatus
- Alam, Kevin (PhD candidate):
"Optimization of the injection molding process"
- Borse, Nitin (PhD candidate):
- Capt, Ludovic (PhD candidate):
"Morphology development during bi-axial extension of polypropylene"
- Cho, Yong (PhD candidate):
"Breakup and coalescence of droplets during processing of polymer blends"
- Feng, Lijun (PhD candidate):
"Studies of melting and solidification of polyolefin melts"
- Hosek, Tomas, Research Associate:
"Synthesis of novel intercalants for polymeric clay nanocomposites"
- Huang, Gang (MEng candidate):
"Phase diagram of polycarbonate/LCP blends"
- Kamal, Dr Basim, Visiting Scholar:
"Computational applications in polymers"
- Lai-Fook, Dr Richard, Research Associate:
"Measurement and prediction of thermal stresses in injection molded parts"
- Mehrabzadeh, Dr Mahmood, Visiting Professor:
"Intercalation and exfoliation of clays in polyamides"
- Muslet, Iyad (PhD candidate) :
"Computer Simulation of The Film Blowing Process Incorporating
Crystallization & Viscoelastic Effects"
- Nassar, Nashaat (MEng candidate):
"Exfoliation of nano-composites"
- Samara, Mazen (PhD candidate):
"Crystallization kinetics of selected polymers"
- Tang, Zujian (MEng candidate):
"Morphological observations in polyolefin blown films"
- Tavichai, Orasa (MEng candidate):
"Effect of shear on crystallization kinetics of polyolefins"
- Uribe-Calderon, Jorge (MEng candidate):
"Intercalation of polystyrene nano-composites"
M. R. Kamal, G. Lohfink, L. Arghyris and S. Hozhabr-Ghelichi, "Process
for Laminar Extrusion", U.S. Patent No. 5,188,784, issued February 23,
- Dr Leszek Utracki (Industrial Materials Institute, National Research Council of Canada)
- Dr Andres Garcia-Rejon (IMI-NRC)
- Professor Alejandro Rey (Chemical Engineering, McGill)
- Professor Helmut Munstedt (University of Erlangen, Germany)
- Professor Nicole Demarquette (University of Sao Paolo, Brazil)
- Professor Alfredo Varela (Universidad de Carabobo, Facultad de Ingenieria, Valencia, Venezuela)
- Professor Mosto M. Bousmina (Université Laval, Quebec, Canada)
- Dr Mahmood Mehrabzadeh, (Deputy Director, Iran Polymer Institute)
- Nova Chemicals (Calgary, Alberta)
- DuPont Canada (Kingston, Ontario)
- JWI Inc. (Kanata, Ontario)
- ABC Plastics (Toronto, Ontario)
- Paulson Training Programs (Connecticut, USA)
- Industrial Materials Institute - National Research Council of Canada (Boucherville, Quebec)